With my Art 1 kids we made “Masks” using paper mache. I am using the term mask loosely as some of the projects have really be elevated. Students made sketches for their masks. I talked about making sketches of several views since the final products would be 3D.
Here is an example of Freshman Dayzi’s sketch:
We used foam core to generate armatures for our masks.
Here is an example of an armature for an elephant mask made out of foam core:
Next step paper mache! We just used watered down Blick school glue and news print strips.
A couple kids use balloons to generate nice round shapes for their masks.
Once the paper mache was complete, they painted them.
Here are some final masks.